A touch of the Jewish Heritage of Bulgaria
The Danube Cities of Silistra and Rousse ( “The little Vienna”)
Meet in the lobby by your private tour-guide . Then you will board your private car/minibus/van and leave Bucharest for Calarasi. After the ferry crossing the Danube (from Chiciu to Ostrov ) you will arrive in Silistra a Bulgarian port town lying on the banks of Danube River. In Silistra you will have your first stop in order to homage at the grave (the grave was discovered on the banks of the Danube River, built as a place for memorial-religious complex in his honor ) of Rabbi Eliezer Papo. Eliezer Papo was a Jewish rabbi from the late 18th and early 19th century, one of the 12 most honored rabbis. Eliezer Papo was born in Sarajevo, but lived and worked in Bucharest as chief rabbi, physician and philosopher. During the Russian-Turkish War in 1829 arrived in Silistra, where he rescues the local population from the exploded in the camp of the Russian army cholera epidemic, creating quarantine “belts” and infirmaries on their fellow citizens. Because of its proximity to patients, however, becomes infected and dies.
A mikveh (ritual bath) was also recently built there for the use of pilgrims.
Then you will leave Silistra for Rousse.
The city of Rousse witnessed at the series of events in Bulgarian history, being also an important academic center and the largest Bulgarian port on the Danube River. The first Bulgarian newspaper, the first metal ship built in Europe, the first Bulgarian weather station, the first lift, the first oil refinery, are just a few of the historical moments spent in Ruse, the first Bulgarian private bank.
Your tour continues with the following visits :
- the former Ashkenazic synagogue, now a Jewish community center
- the former Sephardic synagogue, now turned into a US-backed God’s Church of Prophecy and the Pantheon of the Forgotten.
- the Canetti Trade Housewhich is a venue for art events, performances and concerts organized by the International Elias Canetti Society. The Canetti Trade House used to be a commercial building used by Eliesar Canetti, the grandfather of Ruse-born Nobel Prize laureate in literature Elias Canetti.
In the evening you will cross the Friendship Bridge over the danube in order to get to Bucharest.
OPERATING DAYS : from Sunday till Thursday
DURATION : aprox. 12 hours ( depending on the Romanian – Bulgarian and Bulgarian – Romanian customs control and the bridge crossing traffic )
OPERATING HOURS : from 08:00 till 20:00
THE PRICE INCLUDES :
- private licensed professional tour-guide
- private transportation ( modern and safe car / minivan / van )
- ferry crossing tax
- bridge taxes
- bulgarian road taxes
- private driver
- parking fees
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE :
- small donations at the Bulgarian Jewish Sites
MEETING LOCATION / PICK – UP :
- in the lobby of your hotel
DROP – OFF LOCATION :
- in the lobby of your hotel
The ferry – crossing of Danube depends on the weather conditions (example : if it is fog or storm the law does not allow the crossing ) and on the water level…If the weather conditions do not allow the Danube crossing , you will reach Silistra by crossing the Friendship bridge ( the same itinerary used for the return )