JEWISH HERITAGE BUCHAREST UNIQUE PRIVATE WALKING TOUR
aprox 2 h 30 minutes
With only about 4,000 members of the Jewish community left in Bucharest today, it is rather difficult to imagine that in 1930 it represented up to 11% of the entire city’s population. The Jewish quarter was severely affected by the Fascist pogrom in the 40s, followed by the demolitions initiated in the 80s by the communists, with most streets simply wiped out and 6 synagogues and Jewish temples demolished. Nevertheless, some emblematic buildings have survived and are here to tell their stories.
THE TOUR INCLUDES :
– The CHORAL TEMPLE ( interior visit )
the main synagogue / best known monument of Jewish heritage in Bucharest
It was built in Moorish style between 1864-1866. The Leopolstädter Temple, once the greatest synagogue of Vienna, which was destroyed during the Kristallnacht on November, 10th 1938, served as a model for the Choral Temple.
- The GREAT POLISH SYNAGOGUE ( interior visit ) which houses the Holocaust Museum
- The historical monument constructed in 1845 features beautiful decorations and an exhibition about the Holocaust in Romania.
- The HOLY UNION TEMPLE ( interior visit ) which houses the Jewish History Museum
- The museum covers the history of Jews in Romania, including a small collection of paintings by Romanian Jewish painters and a collection of ritual Jewish objects.
- The JEWISH STATE THEATRE – founded some 140 years ago as a theatre. You will see the theater (exterior ) and hear the story of this great cultural institution. During the war, when Jewish actors were not allowed to play in Romanian theaters, they were allowed to play here in the so-called ‘Barasheum’, under certain conditions.
+ UNIQUE SIGHTS / some of the synagogues off the beaten track PRESENTED BY OUR WELL EXPERIENCED TOUR GUIDES
- THE BEIT HAMIDRASH SYAGOGUE the oldest of all Bucharest’s Jewish places of worship, originally dating back to the late 18th-century
- Three buildings which once hosted the most famous Jewish inns and its interior courtyards
- Two buildings which once hosted famous Jewish Banks
and a brief architectural tour including the most impressive buildings from Bucharest , designed by Jewish Architects with Traditionalst,Art Deco,Modernist and even Gothic style
Tour Duration : aprox 2 hours 30 minutes
Starting time : between 09 :00 and 10 : 30 except for Friday starting at 09 00
Operating days : Daily except Saturday
Meeting place / Pick up : in the Jewish District (place to be advised)
Upon request the tour guide cand meet you in the hotel lobby and take a taxi to the Jewish district
End of the tour : in the Jewish District
for 1 paying person = 90 Euros / person
for 2 paying persons = 45 Euros / person
for 3 paying persons = 40 Euros / person
for 4 paying persons = 35 Euros / person
for 5 paying persons = 30 Euros / person
for 6 paying persons = 25 Euros / person
The prices do not include the following entrance fees / donations per person that the syangogues kindly ask from the tourists :
– The Choral Temple = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person
– The Great Synagogue / Holocaust Museum = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person –
– The Holy Union Temple / Jewish History Museum = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person
by INTELLIGENT TOURISM & EVENTS
|Phone : +40 722 235095 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
The only official representative in Romania of