JEWISH HERITAGE BUHCAREST
Walking and Driving UNIQUE TOUR
aprox 3 h 30 minutes
THIS TOUR IS PROBABLY THE BEST OF ALL THE JEWISH TOURS OFFERED BY THE TRAVEL AGENCIES FROM BUCHAREST BECAUSE IT DOES INCLUDE SOME UNIQUE SIGHTS !!!
With only about 4,000 members of the Jewish community left in Bucharest today, it is rather difficult to imagine that in 1930 it represented up to 11% of the entire city’s population. The Jewish quarter was severely affected by the Fascist pogrom in the 40s, followed by the demolitions initiated in the 80s by the communists, with most streets simply wiped out and 6 synagogues and Jewish temples demolished. Nevertheless, some emblematic buildings have survived and are here to tell their stories.
THE TOUR INCLUDES :
– The CHORAL TEMPLE ( interior visit ) he main synagogue / best known monument of Jewish heritage in Bucharest
It was built in Moorish style between 1864-1866. The Leopolstädter Temple, once the greatest synagogue of Vienna, which was destroyed during the Kristallnacht on November, 10th 1938, served as a model for the Choral Temple.
- The GREAT POLISH SYNAGOGUE ( interior visit ) which houses the Holocaust Museum
- The historical monument constructed in 1845 features beautiful decorations and an exhibition about the Holocaust in Romania.
- The HOLY UNION TEMPLE ( interior visit ) which houses the Jewish History Museum
- The museum covers the history of Jews in Romania, including a small collection of paintings by Romanian Jewish painters and a collection of ritual Jewish objects.
- The YESHUA TOVA SYNAGOGUE
- The JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER ( JCC)
- The HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL
- The JEWISH STATE THEATRE
+ UNIQUE SIGHTS / some of the synagogues off the beaten track PRESENTED BY OUR WELL EXPERIENCED TOUR GUIDES
- THE BEIT HAMIDRASH SYAGOGUE the oldest of all Bucharest’s Jewish places of worship, originally dating back to the late 18th-century
- The TEMPLE OF FAITH / Hevrah Amuna
- The ELDERLY HOME / Mosaver Zekenim SYAGOGUE
- The place where once stood The MALBIM SYNAGOGUE
as well as
- Three buildings which once hosted the most famous Jewish inns and its interior courtyards
- Two buildings which once hosted famous Jewish Banks
and a brief architectural tour including the most impressive buildings from Bucharest , designed by Jewish Architects with Traditionalst,Art Deco,Modernist and even Gothic style
Upon request, the tour can be extended in order to include one of the two Jewish Cemeteries from Bucharest !
- The SEPHARDIC Giurgiului Jewish Cemetery graves dated 21-23 January 1941 mark the Iron Guard’s pogrom against the Jewish community in Bucharest, during which at least 170 Jews were murdered
- The ASHKENAZI Filantropia Jewish Cemetery inaugurated in 1865 graves of the Romanian Jewish soldiers who died during the First World War can be seen in this cemetery
Tour Duration : aprox 3 hours and 30 minutes
Starting time : between 09 :00 and 10 : 30 except for Friday starting at 09 00
Operating days : Daily except Saturday
Meeting place / Pick up : the lobby of the hotel you stay
Drop off : the lobby of the hotel you stay
for 1 paying person = 180 Euros / person
for 2 paying persons = 90 Euros / person
for 3 paying persons = 80 Euros / person
for 4 paying persons = 70 Euros / person
for 5 paying persons = 65 Euros / person
for 6 paying persons = 60 Euros / person
The prices do not include the following entrance fees / donations per person that the syangogues kindly ask from the tourists :
– The Choral Temple = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person
– The Great Synagogue / Holocaust Museum = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person
– The Holy Union Temple / Jewish History Museum = 15 RON/person = 3,2 EUR/person
by INTELLIGENT TOURISM & EVENTS
|Phone : +40 722 235095 | email@example.com|
The only official representative in Romania of